It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: cracked base of tank.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:27 pm 

hi,
I cracked the base plate of a tank i had been cleaning up.
the tank is 6' x 2' x 2'
the crack runs 2/3's the length of the tank... my question is, can I seal over the crack using another sheet of glass and silicone, will it work? or am I fooling myself looking for a short cut to repair it?
has anyone tried, or experienced this?
regards,
joe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:15 am 
Registration Administrator

Yes you can slap another sheet of glass on top. the problems that I have found is cleaning things up sufficiently for the silicone rubber to stick (and remember, new silicone out of the tube, does not stick to cured silicone)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:02 pm 

thanks for the tip Phill,
I decided to have a go at patching it, the tank is standing outside, so I will fill it once the silicone has cured, if it work,s great, if not the flood will be on the driveway and I will just have to replace the whole base, I suppose its worth the try!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:43 pm 
Global Moderator

Before slapping on that overlaying glass bottom clean all the old sealant off. I take as much off with single edged razor blades and the final cleaning down to bare glass use acetone. Acetone is one of the few solvents which can completely remove silicone. I repaired a 90 gal tank this way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:46 pm 
Administrator

Since it's the bottom glass (right?) you might consider placing a 1/2 inch thick piece of plywood of about 6X2 right under the glass and then you just peel off the silicone with acetone and razor blade as suggested and lay down your new bead of silicone sealant along the crack. The plywood is just to provide better stability to the broken glass and avoid it moving under the pressure. It is the sealant that gives the waterproofing (dah!).
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:20 am 

hello, thanks for the tips and hints, i patched the base using a sheet inside the tank, but when i filled it the tank still leaked, so i removed theold base plate and replaced it with a 6'x2' 12 mil sheet, i also had to use a 2 ft by 3inch strip to the bottom front inside corner as i noticed 2 nice big chips out of those sheets too when i stripped off the base. end result though is a water tight tank, to date! i just posted some pictures of the tank in the other fish section of the forum, again tks for the advice.