It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:50 am 

Friends

I am hoping to get some Altums(tank borns) soon.

I am looking at setting up a 100 gal tank. What would be a good choice of filtration for an Altum tank of this size.

Thanks in advance.

Jgd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:16 pm 
Administrator

I really like my fluvals. I run 404s on 3 of my big tanks. While they are not without their issues they are fantastic filters. I also run sponges and those tanks are much dirtier and the sponges take up a lot of tank space and can be unsightly if you are going for a natural look.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:18 am 

Nothing beats the sump in my opinion, a bean animal overflow and a sump

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:36 am 

Thanks to both of you.

I like the convenience of a good Canister been using two Ehiem for years, i love the 3 series for ease of cleaning.For Altums I was planning on using using Seachem Matrix substrate in addition to the Eheim substrates that comes with the filter..to increase further the bio handling capacity for best possible water quality.

On the other hand I read few things about the benefits of a sump due to its aerobic capacity and may be more that I am not aware of.It requires building it up and so leaks etc is a potential risk.

I have a 36W uv that I intend to use for this tank too.

Considering the Altums I am in a dilemma on the best option for filtration.

Jgd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:42 pm 
Administrator

The Ehiems will work great packed with bio media like that. My fluvals are packed with fluval biomax. I don't use sumps because of space limitations. I think any way you go here you are going to be over filtering which is what you want. Are you planning on keeping the pH acid?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:12 pm 

Thanks Ghost 79

My tap water is around 7.8. Do you recommend bringing the PH down?

I do have a R.O unit and I can mix R.O water. I also intend to use Roobios Tea..though I am not sure it does anything to PH.

jgd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:16 pm 
Administrator

Yes, I recommend bringing the pH down to at least 6.5. I have maintained altum in hard water but the propensity for health problems is outrageously high compared to maintaining them in soft acid water. I use a muriatic acid solution to lower the pH in my tanks. Once the tank has assumed the acid pH you really shouldn't have to add acid very often. You are going to want to buy a pH meter. I use pinpoint. If you need me to explain the muriatic acid solution and dosing I'd be happy to. What's the TDS of your tap water?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:19 pm 
Administrator

I fellas, having used the above filter setups for years, both canister and sumps, being both proven filtration methods, I am gradually making the switch to the matterfilter based system.

I have three 90Gs running this type of filer, basically one big foam filter the size of the entire depth (or width as you prefer to call it) and height of the aquarium. It is a single 22 inch high X 18.5 inch wide X 3 inch thick, 30PPI piece of fish safe black foam. It is tucked at the end of the aquarium. Being a little oversized (as to width), it arches inside the aquarium so the edges of the foam fit snuggly into the corners and the inside chamber that from between the foam and the end glass provide space for my heaters, my return pump and airstone. If i want I can also put catappa laves, pet bags or other bagged media in this chamber. Nothing else is seen in my aquariums except for the big dark wall at one end. Depending on your setup, you can make it look as a natural part of the environment. It acts as an interesting substrate for my blue and green phantoms, especially when I add frozen brine shrimp, live blackworms or when they stir up the earthworm stick crumblings, as these are slowly taken by the current into the huge biece of foam and the fish graze on it, eating the worms, shrimp and tidbits off of the outer layer of foam. What makes it pass the outher layer is food for the bacteria colonies.

In my reasoning, it all came down to surface area for nitrifying bacteria colonization.

Mike, you might imagine your fry grazing on a bio-cultivated wall of this stuff.

From what I have read, these filters can hold up for years with no need for cleaning, but when you keep seven blue phantoms of which four, are mature adults, and the other three are 5 inches+, I'll be putting that theory to the test. I have another 90 with six B. demantoides (hi fin green phantom) and a few H. subviridis (Green Phantom), these are subadults and their's is a manageable mess.

I hope to soon install this foam filter system at both ends of my 220G, giving this tank "monster fish" filtration. This is where I am keeping the 2012 wild altum and 2013 F1 Troxell-Changs, along with some C. sterbai.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:22 pm 
Administrator

oceanG wrote:
Nothing beats the sump in my opinion, a bean animal overflow and a sump

DEFINE Bean Animal Overflow?

Starman..LOL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:38 pm 
Registration Administrator

I would agree with Ed. The Mattenfilter setup is the most resilient system going, when your power goes down and starts up again half a day later, the Mattenfilter does not notice. Simplicity is good, this setup comes in the "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" category.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:41 am 

Hai Ed, this Mattenfilter seems very interesting and simple concept is the first time i heard about it , about ht bean animal with sump or refugium is eficient bat not simple

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:46 pm 
Administrator

This is a top view of one of my 90G's showing the mattenfilter. I used a flashlight to get this picture because the lights had already gone off for the night and I didn't want to interrupt the plecos as they were already eating. I'll update it with a view from within the tank tomorrow when the lights come on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:26 pm 
Administrator

You can also see a diagram of my previous sump layout here (also uses foam and extruded clay spheres as biomedia). The foam in the sump setup was on the thin side, to serve mechanical purposes.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2726&p=29592&hilit=sump+filter#p29592

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:33 am 

Thanks Ed is a god concept, you speak in the topic about the UV you consider that a must be? Because i used only when i heave healthy problems with the fishes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:51 pm 
Administrator

Here are some pics of mattenfilters installed in two of my 90G phantom pleco tanks. In the third pic you can appreciate how much space the mattenfilter takes inside this tank... the pic shows over 95% of the front of the tank (48 X 24 inches). I would say I have roughly 80 gallons of swimmable volume in the water column, minus the stone and wood work. each of these foam filters are 23 x 18.5 x 3 inches.