It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:49 am 

HI
Just in case it helps: I have just had a bit of a go around with Hagen regarding their Nutrafin wide range PH kit which is purported to be perfectly fine to measure the ph of low ph, low TDS and low to near absent KH water. It does not., It will give you a false acidic reading..that is to say: the reagent is red and it stays red after it should have turned orange etc. It does not work for sure until the ph is 7.4 (my tap water). Hagen actually agree and say it will not measure ph in low KH water.
The API wide range test kit uses a blue green reagent and works well (I believe,anyway).
My Milwaukee PH 55 meters have extreme trouble reading the water. They can stall and can be either correct (I think) or very far off. It is ,I believe, because they do not have a refillable probe and they deplete very quickly. MIlwaukee recommended an MW100 meter with a different, not supplied and refillable probe which I have not purchased as yet. I am hoping ,instead ,to raise the ph/TDS/KH to more measureable levels. I am currently and newly at a TDS of 100 and PH of 6.2-6.4 in one tank ( that occurred by mistake but the fish are fine) and, in another tank, at the TDS of 100 but ph way lower at 5.5 or lower . I am trying t get the tanks to "meet" and then move some fish around.
Al

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:27 pm 
Administrator

Al, what do you mean by the probe depleting very quickly? One problem we have with most pH probes is that we have to be very disciplined to care for them appropriately. I'm not that disciplined.

Then we have that the models of pH testers that do have replaceable probes, usually run 60.00 and up per probe vs. the quality handheld models that run about this price for the entire unit (but you can't replace the probes),

And the cheap 10.00-20.00 models from China, sometimes sold even cheaper, that you can get several of thsese for the price of one quality handheld.

But whichever one you choose, you really have to be on top of cleaning the probe and maintaining it moist with a clean damp cottonball touching the probe. Some of the caps that come with handheld models have a small piece of fabric that is meant to keep damp for the better life of the probe. But this fabric, needs to be kept as clean and mold free as possible, or it will contaminate the probe.

Right now, I really wouldn't know where to put my money! Maybe the API Regent Test Kits and not worry too much about the decimals.

Ed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:12 am 

HI
My Milwaukee PH 56s have replaceable probes ( but not refillable) which makes them work well again when the probe is replaced...it is pretty quick to need replacing.. What Milwaukee means is that I/we should be using a ph meter with a probe that is refillable. Literally,you buy the ph meter and a bottle of refill reagent and when the meter begins to slow up, you refill it. I gather that, among other things, the refill solution contains hydrogen. THis hydrogen is lost to the water we are testing when we put the probe in and so it needs to be replenished. It's about a $200.00 complete unit for the MW100 with the refillable probe that does not come with it.

If the water one is testing has bicarbonate in it (contains hydrogen),it therefore has some KH to it and the regular ph meters last much longer and the Nutrafin test kit then works also. However, even if we add hardness to our water,we are never going to add much KH/bicarbonate or else the ph will go up too high.
My well water, after CO2 offgassing which adds a full point of ph, has a ph of about 8.4 .It is only 380ppm TDS but has tons of KH...so much that one is sure the test kit is failing.
Al

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:47 pm 
Administrator

Al, those refillable pH meters are new to me, had never heard of them. So the solution inside the probe will run through a chemical depletion and you just need to refill the probe with new solution?
Maybe you can post a link to this product?
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:36 pm 

HI
Yes ,that is about it. A refillable ph meter. AS per usual,I cannot put my hand on my notes on it but if anyone is particularly interested, the one and only guy to speak to at Milwaukee is Brian and if you tell him you want an MW100 with the purchased separately probe that is refillable, he knows the part number. You probably have to purchase the two units (which leaves you with a supplied but not too useful original probe for the MW100) from a reef supplier.
It still is not known if this works well or not..it just should.according to Brian
regards Al

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:55 am 
Administrator

Thanks for the info. Looks like a bit complicated, maybe I'll just take better care of the cheap ones!
Ed