It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Keeping Ph low
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:05 am 

My well water is Ph 6.7 from the tap...in the Stability stage with dithers..Some mornings the Ph rises to about 7...should I use Discus Buffer or some such to keep it low and steady?...Altums are not here yet and I have not started bringing thing down with muriatic acid...Kh is about 4+...what is softness needed for the altums?...Ken

Post subject: re: Keeping Ph low
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:06 am 
Scientific Research Administator

Hi Ken,

The question is not so simple to answer because what you need to achieve with regards to your water, is not so much to get the pH down, but also to get the kH down. If you have the kH of 4 you need to realize that you can try to force the pH down by adding some or other acid, but the pH will bounce back until you have actually completely neutralized all the carbonate hardness.

What is important when you keep altums is to try to get the water as soft as possible and not only to get the pH down. If you use acid to get the pH down or if you use discus buffer to get the pH down, you are adding more dissolved substances to the water, so effectively you are hardening the water, which you do not want to do if you are keeping altums.

So you should try to remove the carbonate hardness and then you will see that you pH will drop in any case. What I would advise is that you filter your water over peat, this will remove the carbonate hardness and reduce the pH at the same time and will also add tannins which will be very good to your altums.

We have discussed this before extensively on this forum and you can read more on http://www.finarama.com/forum/viewtopic ... s&start=15

We look forward to hearing about how your altums will settle in once you get them.

Kind regards,

Dirk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:33 am 

Dirk...I rechecked my KH direct from my well...1 drop to blue, 2 drops to yellow...is that soft enough?...or do I still have to go the peat route as your post indicated...Ken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:59 am 
Scientific Research Administator

Hi Ken,

When you start with new altums that are most probably wild caught the softness of the water is quite critical as this is close to what the water in nature was for them. Peat also releases humic acids which are good when you are trying to settle in new fishes. Humic acids have an antibacterial action so this would be beneficial when you start.

However, once they have settled in and are eating properly you can move the hardness up a little, but there is a limit to how high the hardness can go, but I do think that your water should be ok in the long run.

I am sorry, I do not know the hardness kit that you are using so I cannot make a call about the hardness, perhaps someone from the USA can comment.

So if it not too much effort, use some peat before you get in your new fishes and then you can experiment after that. What you can also do is to put the peat into a fine meshed net and just hang it into the tank and squeezing out the water ever so often to release the humic acids, you can then also monitor the pH to see how far it will drop. Canadian peat moss is excellent for reducing KH and dropping the pH.

Kind regards,

Dirk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:14 pm 

If using API kits both GH and KH test similarly. You count the number of drops to get to the final color and the number of drops = 1 dg of KH or GH for each drop it took. So in ken's case 2 drops = 2 dg. That is a a pretty low KH.

I am more like 3 -4 dg and I use a mix of ro/di and tap. My tap TDS are 83 ppm max and after good rains can be as low as 58 ppm. The ro/di keeps the water as soft as I need it but it also has 0 KH so it makes it easier for the acid to hold the ph down because it serves to lower the overall KH.

I find peat to be messy and would suggest making your own peat extract by simmering the peat and then allowing the strained liquid to heat further to reduce it. Then you can dose it as peat extract :-)

Dirk- I have rooibos teabags. How many bags should i use per 10 gallons of tank water?