It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Power still not back...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:41 am 

We have been on our generator since last Monday to today, Nov.5...my birthday...received and painted my 90 gal...should have stand by mid-week...than we get down to business...

By the way...no fish losses in my 110 discus tank nor in the 30 which is holding the dithers...

Time Warner is giving us a few hours of conputer, phone and TV...for those who have a generator...hoping for tomorrow to get power...but new storm on the way for Wednesday...that's about $65 /day in gasoline...but the fish live!Ken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:31 pm 

Ken I am about 2 hours SE of you across th Hudson. I am in about the same situation, electricity-wise. Ours is a whole house gennie that runs on propane.

On my way to taking my mother to the doctor today I smelled smoke as I neared the road and shortly after noticed the woods on fire on the next door neighbor's property. They had restored power and the lines were down.

Fire dept came etc. upshot is no power here yet, Due to our gennie we never lost phone, TV or internet with FIOS.

Gad to hear all is well at your end.

Post subject: Fire...and fish
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:24 pm 

Amin: Really sad to hear about your situation...we just got power back this afternoon...I guess that your back on the generator...we had trees and wires down near us but no fire...Wednesday's not supposed to be to great either...their saying a Northeaster...

Good luck to us all and our fish...Ken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:21 am 
Administrator

Guys, sorry to just read this. Make sure water is on the acid side, have Prime at hand and use a battery pump to keep the water circulating.
Heating is quite an issue. Keep the tanks surrounded with blankets.
If u have those black water shower bags they use for camping, the sun can heat them and you can put them in the tanks, the fish will likely huddle around them.
Sorry I hadn't even thought about you guys over there. Sorry.
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:40 am 
Scientific Research Administator

Ken and TwoTankAmin,

I have actually been thinking of you guys in NY and if you have been managing. We have also seen all your bad fortune on our tv screens so my thoughts and sympathies are with you, if that helps at all. I hope your services will be restored soon.

Kind regards,

Dirk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:53 am 
Administrator

This may not be the most practical solution to heating problems in case of a cold night emergency but this kind of solar bag can really heat up the water it holds, I may add to a somewhat dangerous point as the water really gets hot.
I have used these in mountaineering expeditions in the Andes mountains at 15000 fasl / +/- 20-25F and when the sun hits them on a sunny day, you could even end up scalding yourself if you're not careful.
I'm thinking in case you can get one of these, fill it up and get it hot, putting one is a blanket wrapped tank can help conserve heat.

http://www.buyenergyefficient.org/solar ... iters.aspx

Ed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:37 am 

Yesterday was a real adventure. When I got up in the morning, our furnace was broken so I arranged for a service call and they fixed it. Then one car had the battery light come on, Its in the shop getting a new alternator. When we came home the gennie was down as it blew a fan belt. I keep spares so we got that back online.

Next came the snow. They predicted not much but I knew better, By 6 pm I was out on my tractor with the snow thrower mounted on the front dealing with the driveway. It looks like we got about 8 inches.

The power remains off, it is now into the 10th day. Our neighbors have power but the three homes up our driveway do not.

The only good part is the gennie keeps all my tanks in normal operating condition and allows us to have phone, net and TV.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:04 pm 
Administrator

Chris, I see you´re a guy that has been through enough to take what you´re taking with a cool head and sound heart... well prepared. I´m glad you have a hand on things.
Ed